Time needed: 5 minutes.
Here are 15 ways using which you can fix the sound not working on the Google Chrome issue.
- Try other websites, audio output devices, and browsers
Check if the audio issue is for a particular website or for all the websites.
- Ensure the webpage is not on mute (using browser)
- Ensure the webpage is not on mute (using the Internet Properties tab)
- Check speaker volume and volume mixer
- Update Adobe Flash Player
- Check default audio output device
- Check Google Chrome sound settings
- Update the sound driver
- Restart the ‘Windows Audio Endpoint Builder’ Service
- Remove any kind of malware or malicious software
- Disable Chrome extensions
- Update Google Chrome
- Clear browser cookies and cache
- Reset Chrome settings
- Reinstall Chrome (or use another browser)
Keep reading to learn each step in detail.
Try other websites, audio output devices, and browsers
This is the first step you should do carry out when trying to troubleshoot the cause of this error. Check if the audio issue is for a particular website or for all the websites.
If this issue is on all the websites, then switch to a different browser such as Opera Mini, Safari, or Mozilla Firefox and check if the audio works here.
If it still does not then try connecting a Bluetooth speaker or insert a headphone jack into your PC and check if the audio is coming. Don’t worry if you can’t hear the audio try another method.
Ensure the webpage is not on mute (using browser)
This is another easy and quick trick you can perform to see why no sound is coming from your Google Chrome browser.
It is very likely that the sound on the webpage you are on might be on mute. You can fix this issue by following the below steps:
Copy-paste inetcpl.cpl and hit OK
Go to the Advanced tab and scroll down till you reach the Multimedia section
Now select the box Play sounds in webpages
Now click on Apply > OK
Restart the Chrome browser and check if the sound is coming from the webpage. If the problem still persists then don’t worry try the next quick and easy method.
Ensure the webpage is not on mute (using the Internet Properties tab)
In most cases, the reason why you can’t hear any sound through Google Chrome is that the audio playing on a website is automatically muted. If you have muted any tab in your chrome then all the new tabs or windows you will open from now on will also be muted.
You can unmute any tab on which you want to hear the sound. To unmute a particular tab follow the below steps:
- Right-click on any tab and select the Unmute site option from the drop down menu
- Alternatively, you can click the lock icon of the URL on the address bar and in the dropdown menu change the Sound option to Allow
Hopefully, this issue should be fixed by now but if it hasn’t then don’t worry you can try the next fix.
Check speaker volume and volume mixer
In Windows 10/11 there is a feature wherein it allows you to adjust the volume level of specific apps. So if you can hear audio from other apps or games but can’t hear it from Chrome then it is possible that you might have muted the volume of the Chrome browser.
To check if this is the issue follow the below steps:
Right-click on the Speaker icon on the bottom right of the taskbar
Select Open Volume Mixer
Under the Applications section, you can see the Chrome app, unmute it and set the volume level to the highest position.
If you can't see the Chrome app icon then open youtube in the browser and start and pause any video. Now you should see it.
Update Adobe Flash Player
In case you don’t know your browser uses Adobe Flash Player (a software used to stream videos, audio, and other multimedia on a computer or mobile device) which might be outdated or faulty.
Here is how to update the Adobe Flash Player:
- Open Chrome browser and visit chrome://components/ to check for updates
- Under Adobe Flash Player click Check for update
Check default audio output device
Another reason why your Chrome browser might be having a sound issue is you might have connected a lot of audio devices with your PC/laptop using Bluetooth and when you keep toggling between them, your PC might not switch audio output automatically.
Your browser is trying to output the sound from your PC speakers but the OS is trying to output the sound from Chrome through another device.
To fix this issue on following the below steps:
- On the taskbar at the bottom right corner right click on the Speaker icon and click on the Open Sound settings option from the menu
- Inside the Choose your output device drop-down menu select your desired output device (it can be speakers)
- Set the slider of the Master volume to 100
Even after doing this, some other apps might still be using other output devices so to ensure that the desired output device is chosen for Chrome scroll down and click on the App volume and device preferences option and locate the Google Chrome option.
Click on the Output dropdown menu and select the required output device.
To do these changes on the Mac OS follow the below steps:
- Mac OS users can click on the Apple icon on the top left corner and click on the System Preferences option
- Now go from Sound > Output from the options available and select the correct output device
- Also make sure Output volume slider at the bottom is at 100% for maximum volume
This should fix the audio error on your browser. But if hasn’t then don’t worry try the next fix.
Check Google Chrome sound settings
Inside Chrome, there is a settings option that allows you to block or allow audio output from specific websites or all of them. This setting is disabled by default but if you have enabled it mistakenly then you would encounter audio issues on your browser.
Follow the below steps to fix this issue:
- Click on the three dot icons on the top right of your browser and select the Settings option from the dropdown menu
- In the left side bar you will find the Privacy and security option, just click on it
- Now, scroll down and click on the Additional content settings at the bottom
- Click on the Sound option and make sure the toggle next to Allow sites to play sound is enabled
- In case it is disabled click on it to turn it on
- If you want to allow specific websites to play the sound click on the Add option under the Allow section
- Type in the URL of the website and click on the Add at the bottom
- The website is now saved to the list of the sites that will always play the sound no matter what other setting you have enabled for the audio
Hopefully, this should work but if hasn’t then you can follow the next step.
Update the sound driver
The Chrome’s no sound problem may occur if you are using the wrong or corrupted sound drivers. You can solve this issue easily if you update the driver to the latest version.
There are two ways you can update the sound driver the first is a manual way which requires a lot of time, patience, and computer skills and the other is using a third-party tool.
You can watch youtube videos on how to update it by clicking here.
Restart the ‘Windows Audio Endpoint Builder’ Service
Windows Audio Endpoint Builder is a service that manages the various types of audio devices connected to your PC. But if this service starts experiencing some issues you might encounter some issues with the audio in your browser.
To fix this issue you need to restart this service. Follow the below steps to learn how to do this:
Press the Start button and search for Services in the start menu
Click on the Open option to launch the app
Now scroll down and locate the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder option
Right-click on it and click on the Restart option from the menu
Now a confirmation box will appear, click Yes to confirm the changes
A new window will open which will show you the status of the restart and once the service is restarted launch your Chrome browser, and check if the audio is working fine or not.
Remove any kind of malware or malicious software
If you have downloaded any kind of pirated softwares or other unwanted apps on your PC then it might be hindering the working of your Chrome browser and causing the no sound issue.
Learn how to remove any kind of malware apps from your PC using Google Chrome:
- Open Chrome Settings by clicking on the three dots in the top right corner
- Go to Advanced and under Reset and cleanup click on the Clean up computer option
- Now click on Find and click on Remove to remove any unwanted softwares and reboot your PC after this
Check if the issue has been resolved.
Disable Chrome extensions
No doubt extensions make your browsing experience seamless but in some instances such as audio not coming from your Chrome browser the extensions might be the culprit.
You can solve this issue by disabling all the extensions and enabling it one by one until you find the extension which is causing this issue.
Learn how to disable Google Chrome extensions:
- Open Chrome and copy-paste chrome://extensions/ in the address bar
- Disbale all the extensions installed in your browser by clicking on the toggle button under each extension
- Restart your browser and check if the audio issue has been resolved
Update Google Chrome
Google Chrome is by default set to update automatically which installs the latest update on its own and fixes any bugs or other issues with the app.
In case this feature is disabled you will have to manually enable it.
Learn how to do it follow the below steps:
- Click on the three dots and hover on Help
- Click on the About Google Chrome
- Once the page loads the Chrome browser will automatically detect for any new updates and will install it or will prompt you to install it manually
After installing restart the browser to see if the audio can be heard on your Chrome browser.
Clear browser cookies and cache
Browser cookies and cache files are temporary files that your browser downloads from websites that help the websites to load faster in the future when you visit them again. Over a long period of time, this data gets so huge that it can cost various issues such as lack of audio.
Therefore it is highly recommended to delete these files from your PC. Follow the below steps to learn how to do this:
- Open Chrome browser and open Settings
- Click on the Privacy and security option on the left sidebar click on the Clear browsing data and under the Basic tab select the timeframe you want
- Click on the Clear data option
Now restart your browser
Launch Chrome. This should solve the audio error.
Reset Chrome settings
Resetting your Chrome browser to default settings will reset all the settings of your browser to the default state. This should hopefully solve this error.
Follow the below steps to learn how to do it:
- Open Settings of your Chrome browser
- Click on the Advanced tab and click on the Restore settings to their original defaults
- Click on Reset settings
Now restart your chrome browser and check if the audio issue has gone.
Reinstall Chrome (or use another browser)
If you are still reading this then it means all the above fixes have failed and you still can’t fix this issue. The last option to fix this issue is to uninstall and reinstall the Chrome browser.
You can also try some other browsers such as Mozilla Firefox, Brave browser, etc. which are open source chromium code based browsers that Chrome browser to uses with the ability to use many of the same extensions.
To uninstall the chrome browser follow the below steps:
- Press the Start button on your keyboard and type Uninstall a program
- Now scroll down till you can find the Google Chrome option
- Right-click on it and click Uninstall
To download the Chrome browser open any default browser in your system such as Edge for Microsoft OS and Safari for Mac OS users. Now search for download Google Chrome and download it.
The above fixes are applicable for Mac, Chromebook, and Ubuntu users.
There are a few reasons as to why there is no sound coming from Google Chrome. You can fix this issue by updating the sound driver, ensuring the webpage isn’t on mute, checking the volume mixer, etc.
Goto chrome://settings/content/sound and make sure the toggle next to Allow sites to play sound (recommended) is turned on (blue in colour). Make sure the particular website isn’t added to mute. Close the browser and restart it.
Hi there. My name is Saish K and I am the owner of this blog.